Thursday 12 February 2009

Eyeball's and snowballs











EVERYONE seems to be complaining about the snow - Its the new literal credit crunch -Not me I LOVE IT - there's nothing so important in my life right now that I cant do from the safety of inside my own front door.Despite the fact that the kids are on a 3 day week - and off now until next Thursday when Archie reliably informs me that there will still be snow and the schools will inevitably still be shut. Hedge, who usually thrives on extreme conditions - and is completely and directly in competition with the forecasters -when they say it will rain - he says it will snow -when they say it will snow he says it will rain - or pass us by....Is BORED with it all - it means he wont be ferreting this afternoon and neither will he pot anymore deer before the season closes on Saturday. But Tuesdays predicted snow has fallen this morning and from the bright blue skies of yesterday we have whiteout conditions - the bird feeders are flying perpendicular to the bird table and the "wee flakes" are coming down in horizontal straight lines - that's right - sideways.




Anyway - I'm very happy - apart from my broken tooth that means that I can either wait 5 weeks till my dentist appointment comes around for him to stick a big needle in me - or I could phone him at 8.25am and request an emergency appointment. I phoned yesterday at 9am to be told I was too late - for the emergency appointments of that day had already gone. Apparently you can only have an emergency at 8.20. the rest of the time it is not convenient for the receptionist. I said "what constitutes an emergency?" she said "are you in pain?" I said "I have 3 children and have you met my husband" this did not constitute urgent status apparently. Anyway I thought "emergency" meant lots of blood, but "pain" is apparently the marker here. I was ruminating away about breathing in with my mouth open in a blizzard and the eye watering shoooting needle feeling in my gum, when she told me the dentist wasn't in anyway. I know he reads my facebook - so Alan if you've made it to my Blog - I'm in pain - when can you fit me in between ski runs?




What I was thinking of posting about this morning was, (given the title of my blog, I feel the need to say that I really do not need to make this up)- Hedge and Fin went on a deer mission yesterday, Finlay came back with a collection of antlers that Hedge said, -to give him his due he worked away with a saw the whole morning until he had retrieved all the booty he wanted -(Charming most seven year olds collect football cards). Nobbler antlers are not the handsome and acceptable "face" of trophy display - the type that makes you want to throw your hat up in a James Bondish manoeuvre -more like twisted sticks of that boring sea weed -the only thing that indicates they were once attached to a deer's head is the little dot of marrow at one end. I don't have a problem with these "trophies" - it was however one step too far even for me -when I went to put his washing away and discovered the eye ball nestled in amongst his pants. It's a strange and not particularly nice thing an eyeball. First of all its very cold, slightly slimy and very blue. The realisation of what it was hit me at the same time as I was already committed to holding it in the palm of my hand. It doesn't stare back at you as sci-fi might have it - it's just cold and blue and orbital - Funny how texturally "boney" is not nearly as disgusting and off putting as "squidge". I asked Fin if he had lost anything ....at the same time as Hedge said to him - what did you do with the eyeball.....He was a picture of innocence - I had removed it from it's hiding place as I was (from experience) completely certain that he would forget about it and where as I can cope with my sense of sight and touch being assaulted- I absolutely draw the line at smell. That and the fact that he was planning to put it in Fergus's bed.




On the subject of Fergus and fondly remembering what a cherubic delight he WAS. Im at the same place with him as I am the Spaniel puppy. Bo at 8 weeks was all legs and adoring spaniel eyes, then came teeth - then came spaniel adolescence which is on a parr with adolescent adolescence, except I could still put her outside and lock the door - which is really where I am tempted to go with my eldest air to the throne. The line between "it wasnt me who ate all the biscuits" and "it wasnt my fault it got broken" has been crossed. The trouble with "it wasnt me who........." and "it wasnt my fault I got caught" is the responsibility that teenagers are genetically modified to be without -my problem is then- well who's fault was it? -and does it really matter anyway...... My day always decends into the mire (with eyeballs) when he greet's me with I was called up to the office again.....the reply from me is "what for this time" the reply from him "it wasnt my fault". My question is: does this translate into a man and a life of of taking no responsibility - or is it hormones that put him at the incident scene -he seems to be afflicted with wrong place wrong time-itis. he cant seem to make the leap from -being there- to being involved. We sat him down last night - when honestly I may as well have been talking into a pillow - I was mwa mwa mwaaing - and he was hearing blah blah blah. he woke up at one point when I said "Fergus if a woman was assulted by two men out of the ten in the room - would the other 8 be innocent?" Both he and Hedge by this time were staring at me quite blankly. Ok so it was a bit of a leap to snow balls..... he had only been lifted with 7 other boys -2 of whom were throwing snowballs at someones house. (and of course he didnt do it, it wasnt his fault etc etc) Perhaps I did go abit far to illustrate my point (for the record his fathers contribution wasnt much better -he felt the need to point out that the perpetrators were from Ballater - and in his day it was the just the same -as all the bad boys came from Ballater....... (thank you Cheif sitting Bullshit -Kofi Annan - and YOUR point is?)(at least mine was interesting)He also threw in for pudding that Fug should simply avoid the company of these particular boys. easier said than done me thinks. He is adamant that I will NOT be going up to see his deputy head - (who also sent me a letter home a fortnight ago owing to Fergus once more being in the wrong place/wrong time when the same snowball boy had shouted something unrepeatable at a maths teacher, the deputy head was of the opinion that Ferg had misplaced loyalty....which as it happens I did not agree with.) This in a month that has included a phonecall from his guidance teacher about him signing my name for me (how kind....(it wasnt MY fault))on a red puni and trying to pass his scribble off as mine.....still whilst paying me back for his pre christmas down loading habit, the day after a two hour (one way) argument about trust. (and why didn't I.....?)Ho hum it never snows but it Blizzards.Like Ive said before - this is cheaper than therapy, and a load off my shoulders - thers' something quite comforting about delivering my musings out into the world wide web it certainly puts them into perspective. they are a snowflake in the blizzard of unimportance. Archie mean while is sweetness and light this morning -he was found at the breakfast table stirring his orange juice with an 11" icicle - very cosmopolitan- then I discovered he was storing them in the fridge..... (good mood entirely due to the lackness of scholastic imperative) Always look on the bright side I say, it's 2 more years before he becomes a teenager.....and 6 until Fin crosses the divide. Oh my god that's 16 more years - I could be responsible for the collapse of the web.......................

No comments: