Wednesday 25 February 2009

Thought for the day: Go with the flow........

The Cat knows best -95% sleeping -5% left to sleep and chase mice......
I was just going to exalt on the merits of listening to one's gamekeeper when as a ghillie he used to tell me to just go with the flow....and when I was battling with decisions, or erasable children, or recalcitrant dogs, or wayward family, or troubled friends - and his short answer has always pretty much been - don't fight it - go with the flow...and it always USED to irk me that in some way that seemed like giving in, or conceding a point and as a resolutely stubborn person of the highest order - it simply wouldn't do to "give in"....However today I had one of those rare moments of blinding revelation - as with all things the zen the more simple the better. What is harmony if it is not fluid, and peaceful and stripped bare and un-complicated. Although I believed the Dyslexic Institutes mantras of "if he cant learn the way you teach - teach them the way he can learn" whist on the other hand (the leftie corry fisted cack handed way) I didn't really understand what that meant. And because we are creatures of pattern and habit we get into a belief system of its our way or the high way - or in Archie's case - "no way"!! so at this very point in unrepeatable time - this moment of the universe let it be said that by going with the flow - by stopping trying to stop time/pack everything in/always rushing and STILL being late/ worrying about when I could take time to enjoy rather than resent... - give up the responsibility for control - actually going with the flow rather than feeling I'm not waving but drowning, I'm not a little duck gliding along the surface whist maddly waggling beneath -Im not resisting - I'm accepting and I'm going to enjoy the ride - be swept up in events and see them for what they are - never as bad as they might seem, always could be done differently with hindsight - and operating under forces that are beyond my control - that's not to say that I don't take responsibility for my actions - but that if everyone did this and stopped blaming everyone else for their problems then we might achieve greater harmony and that can only be for a higher good. The papers are full of the skating pensioner who has been fined £1500 for breach of the peace - or skating in a built up area -he said he thought everyone thought of him as more of a threat than he actually was! - God I wish I could skate - let alone still be skating at 71 - let alone causing a breach of the peace - excellent - cue virtual Mexican wave of support.
And as I sat poised to type another slewth of minor misdemeanors about the high jinks of my own carnival monkeys I logged on and my eye caught the headline that David Cameron's son Ivan had just died. So instead of suspended realisation of my existence let it be known that I realise what I have and celebrate that instead.

1 comment:

A Year in Wanaka NZ said...

ahhhh, you are talking to me, right? We've got to get there sometime or we'd burst. Deep breath.